As of the Fall 2017 semester, Michigan Ballet Academy will be forming the Michigan Ballet Academy Studio Company. Students who opt not to audition for and participate in the Studio Company, will take “Academy Student” classes. To participate in the Studio Company students will be required to audition. The minimum age for audition is 9 years old.
The mission of Michigan Ballet Academy in the creation of the Michigan Ballet Academy Studio Company is as follows:
To provide outstanding quality performance and professional training opportunities to young dancers in an environment that provides challenges and encourages creativity, personal growth, and integrity as we share the art of dance with the West Michigan community.
The goal in forming this company is to help professional ballet students understand the life of a professional dancer while developing a strong work ethic, self-discipline, personal responsibility, commitment, self-confidence, and conviviality that will serve them throughout their lives.
Performance experience is vital to further the artistic growth and development of young dancers. Nothing is more inspiring than seeing a group of hardworking, talented, and dedicated young people achieving their dreams, while fostering the dreams of young audience members who are entranced by the beauty and magic of a live ballet performance.
Michigan Ballet Academy Studio Company Members will receive the following benefits and have the following responsibilities:
Benefits to Michigan Ballet Academy Studio Company Members:
- Company dancers will get priority casting for all performances, without audition or additional fees.
- Company dancers are guaranteed casting in the Nutcracker and the Spring Production. Roles will be determined by the Artistic Director.
- Company dancers will have numerous opportunities to perform during the year through the MBA outreach program, special collaborations, annual auction, and other events.
- Training for Company members will include classes given exclusively to Company members from the Intermediate I thru Advanced levels.
- Company members who have been approved to represent MBA in ballet competitions will receive one (1) free coaching session after every three (3) paid coaching sessions.
- Company members who are approved to represent MBA in ballet competitions will be permitted to borrow existing MBA costumes for the competition. (A cleaning fee of no more than $25.00 per costume may apply.)
- Company members will receive, as part of their semester evaluation, feedback on their performance skills and artistic development in addition to feedback on their technique.
- Tuition for company members will reflect the additional exclusive Company member classes at a discounted hourly rate.
Responsibilities of Michigan Ballet Academy Studio Company Members:
- Company members are required to follow the curriculum, class, and rehearsal schedule.
- Company members represent MBA at all times and must behave appropriately and professionally.
- Company members are required to attend rehearsals which will be scheduled on Saturdays from 1:00-5:00 and during the week from 7:45-9:00. The number of rehearsals a dancer must attend will depend upon the number of roles for which he or she is cast.
- Company members are expected to participate in at least one outreach performance during the year.
- A $150.00 performance fee will be paid per year by Company members to offset certain expenses which include, but are not limited to, costume adjustments, repairs, and cleaning.
- Any Company member interested in ballet competitions must obtain prior approval from the Artistic Director to compete and represent MBA.
- Company members who have multiple absences from classes or from rehearsals may be reduced in the roles they dance, the amount they dance, or be removed from casting at the discretion of the Artistic staff.
- Company members are expected to sell or purchase ten tickets to both the Nutcracker and the Spring Production. For each ten tickets sold by a member, said member will receive 2 free tickets. For every fifteen tickets sold by a member, said member will receive 3 free tickets.